Saturday, May 15, 2010

Mod South

Architectural photographer, Julius Shulman doing his thing. California, 1960.

And one of the resulting images, Case Study House #22

When I wrote about the Julius Shulman documentary back in September of 2009, I had no idea it would take so long for it to come to Atlanta. But come it will in June to the High Museum. (As much as I love Atlanta, I hate waiting for movies to wind their way around to us). The good news is, not only is the screening free, but it will be a part of Modern Atlanta 2010.

While MA is only in its fourth year, it is quickly becoming one of my favorite design events in town, the highlight of which is the Modern Atlanta Home Tour. You may remember this home from last year's tour, photographed here for Atlanta Homes and Lifestyles.

Yes, this is the same house. Business up front, party in the back.

The interiors use the same logic, morphing from traditional turn-of-the-century roots into something unmistakably modern. I could not get over the guest bedroom, suspended in glass above the kitchen. While Atlanta is not really known so much for modernism, we do have a few surprises to share.

For more on the house and designers, visit Atlanta Homes and Lifestyles and the BLDGS website.

Modern Atlanta events run from June 1st to June 6th. Hope to see you there!

18 comments:

Terry said...

There is a lot going on at MA. Too much for one person to take in. There my still be some volunteer opportunities which can save you some tour ticket money.

erin said...

crazy. can't believe that biz up front, party out back house?! i would never have guessed! hope you'll post all about what you see... i am continually surprised how much atlanta has changed since i lived there, and how much i like it with all of it's old and new aspects!

CLAIRE WATKINS, ASID ALLIED said...

I'm looking forward to the Modern Atlanta Tour this year. I was out of town for it last year, but just the images from the homes involved still inspire me.

Glad you're back ;-) Hope Barcelona was as good as it looked from here!

Dovecote Decor said...

What a very interesting house! I do like juxtaposing modern and traditional, but I usually recommend mixing both styles in each room, as opposed to one traditional room, one modern room. Essentially, I would never create a room that is entirely in one style, or one time period. If you have more pictures of the interiors of this house, I would be very interested to see them.
Thank you!
-Dovecote Decor
http://dovecotedecor.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Just before I moved to Atlanta, someone told me that Modern Atlanta was one of things I had to do. I'm really looking forward to it!

Unknown said...

Wow...the mullet translates fabulously to real estate!

Eye Eclectic said...

The film is great and it did already play in Atlanta at the Plaza theater back in December. I am looking forward to the Modern Home Show in Atlanta.

Brilliant Asylum said...

Sorry I missed it at Phipps--the parking there is much easier. Glad to know it is good.

Anonymous said...

Hi All~ First time on this site, what a good one! I live in Midtown Atlanta and was a volunteer for the Modern Atlanta festivities this whole week! Second year for me- so much to do and see, wish it could be spread over two weeks. There is also a mid century modern home tour, usually in September brought to us by the organization DOCOMOMO- check it out!

prashant said...

There my still be some volunteer opportunities
Contextual Ad Network India

ghost chair said...

what an incredible house - I'd never go for the front, but the back is right up my alley! love it!

The pwer of web said...

nice:)

Best Adsense Alternative

NYC Interior Design said...

Love the photos of Julius Sherman, that house is amazing. So precarious but a beautiful southern california view.

Joseph Pineda - Kitchens Melbourne said...

As a new architect I have been searching and collecting an images and idea like this about architectural designs for my collection. The information and images presented here is really wonderful! I have
Bookmarked this webpage and will be included to my collection.

VICTORIA said...

The whole house is a sort of understated elegance and the And the views.... are Breathtaking!!thanks for sharing! :)

sweeter112 said...

ceinture delaware votements delaware travail.
Le nevertheless est le droit cual vous faites d'autant plus une utilisation ceintures Carhartt comme accessoires officiels pourvotrepour habitude ceintures Carhartt si vous otes l'utilisation une organisation embellir ou un parti. Ces ceintures sont swish et dapper afin qu'ils conservent prehend quelques gibe coiffe cual vous portez.Ceinture Ed Hardy

Unknown said...

Great ideas.Keep Posting,You are very creative. kitchen interior design bangalore|kitchen interiors bangalore

saher said...

Just stumbled across your blog and was instantly amazed with all the useful information that is on it. Great post, just what i was looking for and i am looking forward to reading your other posts soon!
Office interior designers in chennai
living room interior designers in chennai
False ceiling interiors designers in chennai